Our airports are opening and preparing to welcome tourists.
At “Eleftherios Venizelos” airport, which has not stopped accepting international flights from specific countries during all these months, the number of flights abroad is increasing.
Restrictions on arrivals from Italy, Spain and the Netherlands were lifted from yesterday, June 15, to June 30.
For Albania and Northern Macedonia, flights will be allowed only for essential travel (ie non-tourist travel) while the ban on Great Britain and Turkey is maintained, regardless of the EASA list.
After three months of restriction measures, again welcomes direct flights from abroad. Thus, from yesterday, June 15 to June 30, all international flights are allowed, with the exception of Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Great Britain, Turkey, Albania and Northern Macedonia.
At all other airports across Greece.
International flight arrivals will begin on July 1, and the proposal to the EU on the list of third countries excluded from the ban on flights is co-formed.
Athens and Thessaloniki airports are ready.
Thorough hand hygiene, as well as respiratory hygiene, the obligatory use of a mask, keeping distance, constant, careful cleaning and disinfection of surfaces and spaces, especially where there is “contact”, are the basic prerequisites for the protection of passengers and of the employees at the airport of Athens, the airport of Thessaloniki but also in all the airports of our country.
The basic rules for passengers traveling to and from abroad and domestic destinations are:
- Admission to the airport building is only allowed for travelers who are airline ticket holders, except for specific exceptions (minor escort, disabled escort).
- The use of a mask is mandatory -already from the entrance to the airport- while all entrants must wear it during their stay at the airport. Passengers may be required to remove it during the security and ID check process. The use of a mask is also mandatory both during the boarding process and during the flight, while it is recommended to change it every 4 hours.
- Workers are provided with all personal protective equipment (masks, gloves, antiseptic liquid), which they use throughout their work.
- The observance of distances (1.5 meters) should be applied at all stages of the procedures at the airport. Special ground markings, visual instructions on screens and banners will make it easier to maintain distances, while regular audio announcements will also be made.
- Facilities, machinery, equipment and frequent contact surfaces in airport areas are regularly cleaned and disinfected with special materials, while airport staff will provide information and supervise the observance of the rules by passengers.
- There are antiseptics available at airports and toilets for use by passengers, as well as at all stages of the travel process, departure, arrival. Plastic discs where passengers place their clothes and objects during the process of entering the gates are disinfected per passenger before being reused.
- The use of available electronic applications and services is encouraged, both before departure for the airport (web check-in) and within the airport (web check-in, self-check in, baggage tag printing, drop off baggage process, eparking).
- Distances must be kept at airport checkpoints and there are already signs for mandatory vacancies. This will not apply to families and couples.
For passengers with special needs, all the above measures are meticulously observed and in addition, priority boarding rules, avoidance of long stays indoors and in rooms within the airport, while both transport wheelchairs and vehicles are cleaned and disinfected at regular intervals, before and after use to ensure maximum protection from Covid-19 for passengers.
It is noted that in terms of flight conditions and other details, passengers will be advised to get information from the airlines with which they travel. The companies will be informed about the rules that apply to their destination.
Protection of passengers and employees at the airport, with all the appropriate measures that compose a safe environment – from the careful cleaning and disinfection of spaces and surfaces and the proper air conditioning provides fresh, refreshed air – to facilitate the traveler’s observance of hygiene and protection rules. Also, antiseptic fluids for hand hygiene are present in more than 300 points of the airport, while the characteristic green marking regularly informs and reminds the passenger of the new habits that aim at protection, ours and those around us, such as mandatory use. mask – at the airport and during the flight – and keeping distances. The staff is equipped with all the means of personal protection, which they use throughout their work and there are protective surfaces / plexiglass at all points of contact, such as ticket offices and information offices.
Regarding the precautionary measures, passengers arriving in Athens and Thessaloniki from June 15 to 30 from airports outside the EASA list will be sampled and travelers will be subjected to a day of self-restraint at a hotel of their choice until the result of the test is issued. If the test is positive, they will be quarantined for 14 days.
For travelers coming from Italy, Spain and the Netherlands and from airports that are on the EASA list, everyone will be tested and will be limited to one day at the hotel (Athens, Thessaloniki) until the test is issued. In case of a positive test, a 14-day quarantine will be applied.
From July 1, all travelers to Greece will complete with the arrival or before boarding a specific electronic form PLF (Passenger load factor) with their contact details in Greece. Sampling tests will be performed and will be performed on a 14-day quarantine if the test is positive.
Arrivals by road & Sea.
Arrivals by road (between June 15-30)
• Greece’s land borders with Turkey, Albania and Northern Macedonia will remain closed (except for absolutely necessary business travel).
• Greece’s border with Bulgaria will be open.
Arrivals by sea (between June 15-30)
• Ships from abroad are prohibited from entering Greek ports.
• Pleasure boats (leisure or professional) are allowed in Greek ports but only with crew on board.
Quarantine….. June 15 – June 30:-
- If your travel originates from an airport on the European Union of Aviation Security Agency affected area list. (which we have provided in a Pdf on the below post):-
You will be tested on arrival. An overnight stay at a designated hotel provided by the Greek authorities is required. If the test is negative, you are released for a seven day self-quarantine. If the test is positive, you are quarantined under supervision for 14 days. For any other arrival questions, consult directly with the airport. (Athens and Thessaloniki Airports only).
- Origination is the first flight on your travel itinerary. For example, if you travel from England and connect through Germany, your English flight is considered your origination. If your origination airport is on the ESA affected area list, you are subject to testing and quarantine per above.
- We have requested clarification on several scenarios, such as transit from a country not on the EASA affected area list through a country on the EASA list. We will update this page as more information becomes available.
If your travel originates from an airport NOT on the EASA affected area list, you are subject to random tests upon arrival.