A decsion from the Municipality of Zakythos to sending a letter to the Port authorities of Zakynthos, in regards to approaching the bay area and beach area of “Shipwreck, Nagaio has led to the Port Authorities allowing the approach but under certain restrictions. The Port Authorities after recieving from thecouncil a completed document of saftey measures sent their decsions to the Ministry of Administrative Reconstruction and are now waiting for the decision to be printed in the Government’s Gazette. As noted in the documentation the rules and regulations for access to the beach area are as follows:-
The decision of the Harbour Master
- It is forbidden to any form of floating means to approach-anchorage-stay or for anyone to swim within a forty (40) meters zone from the coastline (rocks) perimeter of the area Navagio and which limitation is appropriately marked by the Municipality of Zakynthos according to (στ) and (η) accordingly.
- It is permissible, under the sole responsibility of each master or pilot or operator or lessee-renter or addressee of each floating means, in conjunction with the existing helix capabilities and taking into account at his own discretion the actual prevailing weather conditions but prohibiting deportation in accordance with the provisions in force) and / or weather phenomena, as well as with care and responsibility of the same in ensuring the safe and immediate removal of all the occupants and, in particular, their disembarkation in the event of an emergency, only from 09:00 to 17:00 of each day within the defined safe area where the risk is eliminated and with the simultaneous stay of up to one thousand one hundred people (1,100) within the relevant boundaries (στ) and (η) , the boundary is appropriately marked by the Municipality of Zakynthos, the approach-berth-stay of all kinds of floating means, the embarkation / boarding and swimming within these areas:
(A) On the left side of the inland the waterway of the area, from the boundaries of the flagged zone referred to in paragraph 1 hereof and within a twenty-five (25) wide band (channel) of which the boundaries – or the channel – are appropriately marked by the Municipality of Zakynthos, approach-mooring-stay- disembarking / boarding:
- E / C-T vessels in accordance with their applicable authorized licenses of two hundred and one (201) persons or more:
(a) From 10:30 to 12:00 of each day to one (01) E / C-T vessel (dayboat).
(b) From 12:00 to 13:00 on each day to two (02) E / C-T ships (day-ships).
- c) From 13:00 to 14:00 of each day to one (01) E / C-T ship (day-boat).
(d) From 14:00 to 15:00 of each day to one (01) E / C-T ship (day-boat).
- E / C-T / E capacity ships, according to their valid authorised licenses, one hundred and one (101) up to two hundred (200) persons:
(a) From 09:00 to 12:00 of each day to three (03) E / C-R ships (dayboats).
(b) From 14:00 to 17:00 each day to three (03) E / C-T ships (dayboats).
- B) On the right side of the inland the waterway in from the boundaries of the flagged zone of paragraph 1 hereof and within a twenty-five (25) wide band (channel), whose boundaries – or the channel – are appropriately marked by the Municipality of Zakynthos, the approach-berth-stay- disembarking / embarking, with a maximum number of simultaneous stays of up to five (05) vessels and maximum stay time of up to forty-five (45) minutes, which is to be reiterated unless otherwise, will remain safely in the maritime area of the Navagio and will not depart until the completion of embarkation of their already disembarked passengers from the beach area, to ensure timely and a safe removal in the event of an emergency, according to the above in the first paragraph of that paragraph:
- E / C-Rs of vessels of a tonnage of up to one hundred (100) persons in accordance with their valid authorised licenses.
- Other floating means.
- C) Within sixty-five (65) meters of each other from the points where the perimeter coastline (rocks) intersects with the shoreline, ie the inner zone created after the two sides of the above mentioned bands (A) and (B) of this paragraph and thirty (30) meters from the shoreline to the sea, the boundaries of which are appropriately marked by the Municipality of Zakynthos, exclusively for swimming.
- It is forbidden to bind the afore mentioned floating means from the wreck of the ship on the coast, in order to protect the bathers and to avoid the destruction of the wreck which is a special attraction for the island of Zakynthos.
- Throughout the duration of the vessel’s stay, it is prohibited the operation of the vessel’s biological system.
- For every arrival and departure, continuous and increased attention and visual and audio surveillance of the sea area, the observance of safe speed and distance from the other vessels but in particular the bathers, the unnecessary and / or prolonged use of sound signals, as well as the application of all rules for handling and navigation provided by the applicable provisions, the International Conflict Avoidance Regulations of the (International Maritime organisation), as well as nautical knowledge, technique and experience should be adhered to.
- When arriving and departing and in order to achieve the best safety conditions, it is necessary at all times to cooperate in good faith and prior consultation between masters and / or captains and / or pilots and / or lessees and / or addressees with regard to the anchoring queue of floating means under their jurisdiction.
- Every arrival and departure at “Shipwreck” must be informed by our Service, while a relevant entry is made in the Bridge’s Diary from the persons obliged to observe it.
- In the event that for any reason the security measures specified and in the case of anyone not abiding or not acting in regards to the safety measures of (στ) and (η), in any form of comprehension and existence by the designated persons from the Municipality of Zakynthos on the beach, are not and / or have changed, who are there specifically to inform the public and for persons not to approach the forbidden zone of forty (40 meters) perimeter from the beach rocks with the appropriate signage by the Municipality of Zakynthos, is automatically prohibited according to the aforementioned (στ) and (η ) similarly, the approach for night-mooring-stay of any watercraft and swimming is prohibited until written confirmation is restored by the Municipality of Zakynthos.
- Infringements of this decision, irrespective of the joint criminal or civil liability, shall be subject to administrative sanctions in accordance with Article 157 of the Judicial Code. 187/73 (Government Gazette ΦΕΚ 261A’/73) is in force.
- That this decision is to be published in the Government Gazette.
for more in Greek click on the below link:- https://www.imerazante.gr
Zakynthos Informer would like to remind all that these rule and regulations have been put into action for a reason, that being the safety of those who visit the area, we can not stress enough that we all should abide by them.